who we are
The Parish Education Committee (PEC) is a group of elected and appointed St. Mary’s Parishioners who work with the Principal and Pastor in the running of the school.
The PEC represents the Board of Directors of the CISVA at the local level, implements Archdiocesan policies and sets local policies for St. Mary’s School.
Learn more about Parish Education Committee's mandate, roles and responsibilities in the CISVA's Parish Education Policy Manual.
The PEC Members for the 2018/2019 school year are:
- Dave Johnson - Chairperson
- Rhonda Sexsmith - Vice Chairperson / PFG Chairperson / Family Service Hour Coordinator
- Mark Filiatrault - Treasurer
- Jenna Winterhoff - Secretary
- Adrian Gannon - Maintenance Coordinator
- Dale Wagner - Delegate to CISVA
- Lori Johnson - Member at Large
What we do
The PEC is responsible for:
- Setting and managing the school’s operational budget
- Hiring staff through liaison with the Superintendent’s Office of the CISVA and in consultation with the Principal
- Overseeing building maintenance, site repairs and improvements
- Coordinating fundraising efforts through the Parent Fundraising Group
- Cooperation with Archdiocesan programs
- Ensuring the CISVA's educational policy is followed
- Overseeing day-to-day operation of the school, including collection of fees, payment of expenses, and maintenance.
- Supporting the Principal as chief administrator of the school
- Staffing the Annual registration tables
- Promoting Catholic education, its values and benefits to the community
- Setting and overseeing the uniform policy
- Managing the school Family Service Hour Program
- Long-term strategic planning
- Hosting the Annual General Meeting/ Parent’s Night
How to get involved
Attend a PEC meeting
All school parents are welcome to attend PEC meetings, which are usually held on the 4th Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m. Meetings are open, except for in-camera sessions.
Should you wish to present at a PEC meeting, please email your request to the Chairperson no less than seven (7) days prior to the next meeting.
Become a PEC member
PEC elections are held each year in May.
A nominating sub-committee is appointed, who then invite and receive nominations from the Parish community.
To be nominated, you must be a practicing Catholic, age twenty-one or higher, and approved by the Pastor.